Oh goodness. This is delicious…and I invented it too! (Not that I’ve checked for recipe coincidences). It’s simple, and perfect for cooking on our new camping kit essential – the Cadac Safari Chef.
Coconut Pain Perdu for Two
- Four slices of bread (stale, wholemeal, seeded, white…anything)
- An egg
- A carton (or tin) of coconut milk or coconut cream
- Pinch of cinnamon/dash of vanilla essence – if you like
- Butter or other fat for frying
- Cut the slices of bread into two triangles (I’m working on normal-sized slices here, so adapt quantities to suit your teeny or giant loaf).
- Beat egg, a small carton of coconut milk/cream and a tablespo0n of sugar, plus cinnamon/essence.
- You want enough liquid to soak into the bread, so add ordinary or dairy-free milk or more coconut to give yourself enough. You’d be surprised how much the bread soaks up.
- Put the slices in a shallow dish (as spread out as you can) and pour over the liquid. Make sure every bit gets covered, and be careful that slices don’t weld together.
- Cover and leave somewhere cool to stand as long as you can manage (overnight is lovely, but does need a fridge or coolbox).
- Heat the butter in a frying pan or on the Cadac frying surface.
- Carefully lift the slices out (they might be pretty soggy by now) and fry on both sides till golden brown. Eat warm with a sprinkling of sugar, a dollop of strawberry jam, some berries….or just naked.
Sounds like nothing special, eh? Just you wait. Hot, crispy, sweet and coconutty outsides, plus creamy, melting middles. Gorgeous.