A quick, easy and infinitely adaptable way to make roasted stuffed peppers – plus a roast ratatouille with courgettes and tomatoes.
- Four red or orange peppers (avoid the pointless green ones!)
- Basic stuffing ingredients – leftover or ready-cooked rice (have a look at the Tilda variety here), couscous, bulgur wheat, drained tinned lentils, or even chopped up bread
- A couple of chopped tomatoes
- Your favourite herbs and spices – try mixed herbs, chilli, smoked paprika or curry powder.
- You could also add cheese, garlic, chopped spring onions, cooked bacon, mushrooms….you name it.
- Cut out around the stalk and then pull it out in one go, which should remove the core and seeds.
- Mix your stuffing ingredients, add a little oil or tomato juice if it seems dry, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the pepper through the hole. If you find it’s just too fiddly, slice off the top completely. You can still use it as a lid.
- Wrap in foil and put on the edge of the campfire or barbecue for around 20 minutes. You might have to check now and then because cooking times depend so much on how hot your fire is.
- If you want a bit of barbecue charring on the outside of your peppers, you can give them a quick blast out of the foil before you stuff them. Don’t let them get too floppy, though.
- Delicious with a dollop of mayonnaise or yoghurt – or our favourite, yoghurt and mayonnaise mixed with a tiny bit of garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of chopped herbs (basil, coriander or parsley, perhaps).
The ratatouille extra:
As an alternative to stuffed peppers, cut your peppers into chunks and wrap in foil alongside some quartered tomatoes, sliced courgette, salt and pepper, a splash of olive oil and mixed herbs. Cook on the fire (making sure you keep the folded-over side upwards to avoid losing any juices). After around 15 minutes (depending on your fire), you should have a fabulous ratatouille-style roast vegetable mix. Perfect with crusty bread.
Fancy a tasty cheat…we have some great camping readymeal options for you!