If you suffer from a bad back, this can make camping something of a nightmare. Sleeping in the great outdoors can bring about many problems and may cause even the most avid campers to be put off going on their next adventure.
But you shouldn’t let a painful back be a problem and there are many excellent products that will keep you comfortable and well-supported as you enjoy getting back to nature.
In this guide, we will be looking at ten of the best camping cots for bad backs and giving you all the information you will need to make the right purchase for you.
The Best Camping Cots For Bad Backs
Fortunately, manufacturers have kept in mind that some people may need additional support when out camping and as such, a range of great camping cots for those with a bad back have been created.
Whatever you are looking for, there is likely a product for you. Let’s explore some of the features of the top camp cots for a bad back.
OUR TOP PICK
At first glance, this looks like an excellent quality camping cot and when you look closer, this is perfectly demonstrated in the wealth of features that make this one of the very best camping cots for bad backs.
It boasts a strong, sturdy and durable design as well as crossbars that give you better support from the ground up.
The MARCHWAY camping cot boasts a frame that is made from aircraft grade aluminium making it one of the most sturdy and supportive camping beds on the market. Furthermore, this material is beautifully lightweight.
- For people who will be moving around and need a portable camping cot, this is ideal since it weighs just a little over 6lbs making it very easy to carry around without putting additional strain on your back.
- This camping cot is very easy to put up and can be done in minutes thanks to a shock-cord pole. When you are ready to take it down, the process is just as simple.
- The MARCHWAY camping cot is made from tough nylon which will not tear. Furthermore, the design provides additional support in the shoulders, back and legs making it ideal for anyone who suffers with pain.
- The weight capacity of this cot is 350lbs which makes it suitable for most adults. The wider feet add to this heavy-duty nature giving you amazing stability.
Thick supportive fabric
May be too soft for some people
350lb weight capacity
Easy to put up
Not only does the Coleman camping cot have many features that make it great for anyone with a bad back but it also has a lot of little conveniences that just make life easier while camping.
- The camping cot comes with a side table where you can store a drink and anything else you may need in the night. If your back is playing up, getting up and down can be tricky so having this little luxury is a nice touch.
- This camping cot is extra long and will easily sleep a person up to 6’6” as well as having a maximum weight capacity of 300lbs.
- The frame is made from robust steel which gives you a very supportive and stable camping cot that won’t move or buckle as you move around during the night.
- The Coleman Camping cot is extremely easy to put up and take down. It also comes with a carry bag to make transporting it much easier. What’s more, despite being robust, this is a very lightweight camping cot that is ideal for those who may need to trek to their camping spot and need something that won’t induce more discomfort.
Handy side table
Larger footprint not great for small tents
Easy to put up
No leg lock
Steel frame for great durability
For those who are looking for a camping cot that offers the utmost in support and comfort, the Jay-Be is a great choice. It comes with a soft air bed that offers a great level of comfort and will help to alleviate back discomfort while you sleep.
One of the most impressive features of this camping cot is that the frame is amazingly durable. So much so that the manufacturer gives a lifetime guarantee for the frame.
- The mattress boasts a J-Tex sprung base system which is ideal for people with back problems as it gives a greater level of support. Not only this, but this design offers much more comfort and will result in a much more peaceful night’s sleep.
- If you are camping in hot weather then it is vital that your camping cot provides you with excellent airflow throughout the night. The mattress on this cot has been designed with an open-cell structure that makes it superbly breathable. This results in a much fresher and more comfortable sleeping experience.
- The Jay-Be camping cot does fold in half to make it easier to transport, but it is worth noting that even when folded, it is quite large. For this reason, this camping cot is recommended for those who will be staying in one location when camping.
- The camping cot is easy to put up and take down making this a very convenient option for those who don’t want to pull their back further with tricky assembly.
- The frame, which has a lifetime guarantee, is made from steel which is both durable yet incredibly lightweight. Each bed is fully tested for quality and function so you can feel sure that you will be getting the greatest degree of support.
- The weight capacity for this camping cot is 264lbs.
Easy to erect
Springs tend to sag a little
Super comfortable mattress
Made from recycled materials
If you are looking for something that is incredibly lightweight and durable, then this may be just the right solution. Not only this, but the Kingcamp XXL folding camping cot boasts extra room and a generous weight capacity for those who need a little extra space.
- If you struggle with a bad back, you will likely need more space to spread out and that is exactly what you get with this cot. With measurements of 81” x 30” x 18” there is plenty of room for movement. What’s more, the Kingcamp boasts a weight capacity of up to 120kg/265lbs.
- The fabric is breathable, giving you an excellent level of airflow, making this especially useful for summer camping. This 600D Oxford fabric is also fully waterproof.
- The frame is made from high-grade steel with an extra 0.2mm thickness making it incredibly sturdy and durable. This also gives you a very supportive base to keep your back still and secure while you sleep.
- The camping cot boasts a handy side pocket to keep your valuables and essentials during the night.
- Despite being extremely heavy-duty, this is a camping cot that is easy to put up and comes with a carry case for convenient transportation.
Breathable and waterproof
Heavier than other options
Great supportive frame
Easy to put up/take down
For sleepers that struggle with a bad back, comfort is at the top of the list of priorities. This camping bed from Redcamp boasts a study frame and a delightfully comfortable mattress for the perfect night’s sleep.
- This camping bed has the ability to support weights up to 500lbs so is perfect for people with a bigger build. It has been designed with wider feet that offer brilliant support and stability, without damaging the tent floor.
- If you want a soft and comfortable sleeping surface then you won’t be disappointed with this bed. It is finished with a beautifully soft cover which attaches easily and will give you something that is as close to home as possible.
- For larger adults, having a small bed can play havoc with an already painful back. For this reason, the manufacturers have added an extra inch to the width of this camping cot making it perfect for those who need a little more room.
- The camping cot is versatile and can be used for a variety of functions. Thanks to its easy to assemble design, it is just as easily suited to a week on an organised campsite as it would be to a hiking adventure.
- Not only can this camping bed be put up in as little as ten seconds but it also comes with a handy carry bag for when you are on the move.
May be a little bulky
Super soft sleeping surface
Great for larger adults
If you are looking for something that is incredibly versatile, lightweight and convenient, then the Sportneer camping cot is for you. It can be just as easily used on the beach or for sunbathing in the back garden as it can on a rugged hiking trail in your tent.
- The last thing that anyone with a bad back wants is a lengthy setup. Chances are that after a long day of outdoor activity, you will want to quickly climb into bed and rest. The foldable design of this camping cot means that it is quick and easy to put up with no strain on your body.
- If you spend a lot of time camping, you will need something convenient and the little extras that you get with this camping cot make it delightful. There is a handy storage compartment on the side of the cot for your essentials that doesn’t get in the way of the sleeping area.
- With a weight capacity of up to 450lbs, this is one of the more heavy duty camping cots on the market and provides you with incredible support.
- The frame is made from tubular steel which is hollow making it very lightweight. But that does not mean that the durability of the frame is compromised, on the contrary, this is an incredibly strong and sturdy design.
- The Sportneer camping cot boasts a tilt at one end which gives the sleeper great neck support. Something that is imperative for those with a bad back.
Tilted neck support
If you and your partner want to share a camping bed, but it has always been difficult owing to your back problems, then this camping cot offers an excellent solution. It is incredibly stable and has two separate parts for each sleeper.
- The last thing you want when camping is a cot that is going to strain your back even more when putting it up. This Outwell has a simple, folding design that is easy to put up and take down in minutes.
- The camping cot comes with a support pillow which is excellent news for people who struggle with pain in the back that radiates through the neck. You will always have full support and sleep like a baby!
- For easy transportation, the Outwell double camping cot comes with a handy carry case. To further avoid injury to the back, this is also a very lightweight sleeping solution at just a little over 13kg.
- The frame is made from a blend of steel and aluminium which gives it incredible durability. When you have a sore back, you need something that is stable and strong and that is exactly what you will be getting with this camping bed.
- The fabric is polyester and is resistant to tearing making it ideal for even the most challenging outdoor adventures. With a taut design, the fabric gives additional support to sleepers with back problems and can hold up to a combined 250kg.
Comfort could be improved
Lightweight and easy to carry
Central bar can get in the way if you want to use a double mattress
High off the ground making it easier to lower down onto
Generous weight capacity
Aside from being a very affordable camping cot, the Oypla camping bed offers a great degree of durability and is excellent for heavy duty use.
- The camping cot has a maximum weight capacity of 100kg which is perfect for most average adults.
- If you are going to be moving from place to place each night then having something easy to transport is a must. With this camping cot, you get a carry bag and thanks to the foldable design, it is easy to take down and put up.
- If you need something a little more spacious, this is a great choice since the camping cot has been designed with a little additional space. This feature will allow you to spread out when you sleep, opening the spine and freeing you from any pain in your back.
- The waterproof fabric of the Oypla camping bed is perfect for all conditions and will keep you dry and comfortable. Furthermore, it is breathable making it ideal for those hot summer nights.
- The frame is made from steel which is incredibly durable and will stand up to a lot of use. But it isn’t just the frame that is hard-wearing, the fabric is exceptionally durable and will certainly stand the test of time.
Durable and waterproof
Too big for smaller tents
Great for heavy duty use
Fiddly initial assembly
100kg weight capacity
Lightweight and easy to transport
One of the most stand out features of this camping cot for bad backs is its extra wide design. If you need more space to get comfortable and are concerned that a more compact camping cot wouldn’t provide you with this, then the Redcamp may be a good option.
However, this large design doesn’t mean that you end up with a heavy bed that is difficult to move around. At just over 7kg, this is still a relatively lightweight camping cot especially considering its size.
- Weight capacity of 500lbs.
- Reinforced frame for greater support, giving you a sleeping surface that won’t buckle or shift as you sleep.
- This is a great choice for people who do not want to add additional strain on their back with a tricky setup. The camping cot can be easily set up and taken down again in seconds thanks to the easy foldable design.
- The fabric on the sleeping surface is much thicker than many other designs and this is great news for people with a bad back. This fabric will provide you with a support and stable sleeping surface that won’t shift as you move around.
- The camping cot comes with a handy transport bag and a small storage pouch on the side of the frame to keep your essential items.
Not great for side sleepers
Carry bag isn’t very durable
Stable sleeping surface
Easy to carry
This is a great choice for anyone who needs a camping cot that is extremely easy to transport. If you are on the go, moving from place to place, this may be ideal for you.
The camping cot is packed with great features that result in a comfortable and supportive sleeping surface.
- The FE Active folding camping cot is incredibly lightweight and will go up in minutes. Taking it down is just as simple and this makes it perfect for when you are on the go.
- With support across the length of the camping cot, this is a very sturdy and stable bed that is great if you suffer with back pain. It elevates you off the ground so you don’t need to get right down.
- The frame is made from a high-grade aluminium which contributes to the lightweight design. But this also makes the camping cot very durable and great for people who spend a lot of time camping. It will certainly last through all of your adventures.
- The fabric is breathable allowing for excellent airflow and is also water resistant; another feature that makes it perfect for serious campers.
- This camping cot has a weight capacity of 240kg, so it is a little less heavy duty than some of the other products that we have looked at. However, it will still be suitable for most average-sized adults and can also hold an air mattress which is great news if your back pain requires you to have a very soft sleeping surface.
No locking for legs
Large weight capacity
What To Look For In A Camping Cot For Bad Back
Not all camping cots are made equal and this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, it does mean that while one camping cot might be ideal for one person, it may not be suitable for the next. Furthermore, you should also consider whether the features of the camping cot are suitable for the issues that you have with your back.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the things you should be looking out for when choosing a camp cot.
Camping cots will come with a maximum weight capacity and it is essential that you only purchase a cot that will be compatible with your weight. If you do not, there is a risk that it may collapse and this, of course, can be an injury risk.
Typically, a camping cot will come with different users in mind. For example, there are those that are made specifically for children as well as those that are made for heavier adults. Choosing the right type is vital for your safety.
The frame of your new camping cot is what is going to be responsible for holding your weight and keeping the cot stable and secure. For this reason, it is important that it is made from heavy-duty material.
Most often, these camp cots will come with an aluminium or steel frame. Not only are these materials incredibly durable and supportive but they are also lightweight which makes them easier to carry.
Your comfort is one of the most important priorities when choosing a camping cot. You should look at factors like whether the cot comes with additional support in places, a support pillow and how the fabric feels.
The fabric that is featured on your camping cot should be breathable, lightweight and incredibly durable. You should make sure that any seams are tightly secured and that the material doesn’t look like it will weaken over time.
It is also worth looking for fabric that is easy to clean. Things like cotton may be incredibly breathable but they also hold dirt very easily. If you can get something that can be wiped down or even removed and machine washed, then this is a bonus!
Is It Easily Portable?
The last thing that anybody wants when they are already struggling with a bad back is a camping cot that is heavy and cumbersome. This will only be uncomfortable and problematic to carry. For this reason, we would always suggest buying a lightweight camping cot that doesn’t compromise on durability.
You should look at features such as how the camping cot folds away or does it come with a protective carrier.
Ease Of Use
Once you reach your camping spot, you aren’t going to want to spend any longer than you have to getting everything set up. For this reason, it is crucial that you source a camping cot which is easy to put up.
Most modern camping cots can be erected in seconds but it is important to familiarise yourself with the process before heading out on an adventure.
There are some incredibly compact camping cots and these are great if you are looking for something that is very portable. However, you need to make sure that there will be enough space on the surface of the camping cot for you to lie comfortably.
It pays to think about your natural sleeping position. If you sleep curled up in a ball, you might need something a little smaller than if you sleep spread out. What’s more, if you have back problems, it is important to be able to get into a sleeping position that feels comfortable and doesn’t put any unnecessary pressure on your back.
However, you should also make sure that you have the correct amount of room in your tent for your fully erected camping cot. The last thing you want is to set it up only to find out that it doesn’t fit. This is why it is important to try everything out before you leave home so that you don’t have any nasty surprises once you are out on the campsite.
If you suffer from back pain, it is essential that you have a secure, solid and supportive sleeping surface. Getting down onto the ground when camping may not be possible but there are some excellent camping cots on the market that will help you to get a comfortable and decent night’s sleep.
However, before making your choice, there are several factors that you will need to consider such as the weight capacity and what materials the cot is made from.