You could use salmon, trout or any flattish fish that will keep its shape. Local and sustainable would always be our choice! This camping recipe is super-quick and tastes rather special.
- Two good-sized pieces of fish
- Three tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Three tablespoons of water
- 1.5 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Mix the vinegar, sugar and juice in a bowl.
- Dry the fish completely. It’s important! Season.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the salmon till nicely browned and cooked through. Remove and keep them warm (you could wrap them in foil or cover them with a plate or lid.
- Carefully add the vinegar mixture to the pan. It will try to jump out and burn you! Cook over a high heat till it’s reduced to a glaze, but don’t let it get too thick and treacly.
- Pop the salmon back in just to warm through.
- Serve with a pile of watercress or any kind of salad and some fresh bread.
Lots more delicious camping recipes here!
When we find a new piece of camping or outdoor equipment that we love and that really works, it's here. Everything you see – from barbecues to mosquito repellent – has been tried and tested by a member of the Campfire team and is now one of their actual camping essentials ...