A delicious and easy camping meal that’s a cut above the usual.
You could use salmon, trout or any flattish fish that will keep its shape. Local and sustainable would always be our choice! And smoked tofu works beautifully too.
This camping recipe is super-quick and tastes rather special.
- Two good-sized pieces of fish (you can also do this with firm tofu sliced thinly into steaks. Smoked tofu is especially good)
- Three tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Three tablespoons of water
- 1.5 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Mix the vinegar, sugar and juice in a bowl.
- Dry the fish completely. It’s important! Season. Tofu needs to be pressed and dry, then dredge in cornflour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the salmon/tofu till nicely browned and cooked through. Remove and keep warm (you could wrap them in foil or cover them with a plate or lid.
- Carefully add the vinegar mixture to the pan. It will try to jump out and burn you! Cook over a high heat till it’s reduced to a glaze, but don’t let it get too thick and treacly.
- Pop the salmon/tofu back in just to warm through.
- Serve with a pile of watercress or any kind of salad and some fresh bread.